- Job-ID: V000047620
- Location: Kigali
- Assignment period: 03/01/2022 - 09/30/2023
- Field: ICT and Digitalisation
- Type of employment: full- or part-time
- Application deadline: 01/30/2022
GIZ implements the project "Tech Entrepreneurship Initiative Make-IT in Africa" on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). It is part of the BMZ initiative "Digital Africa" and aims at improving the entrepreneurial ecosystem in the digital economy. In its second project phase Make-IT supports tech start-ups in their early growth phase and strengthens public and private intermediaries of the entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- Taking the existing Make-IT in Africa activities in the ecosystem to the next level by extending them to regional and pan-African level
- Co-creating and boosting regional implementation of Make-IT in Africa with the local teams and the Project Management, by actively contributing to building a strong regional team that combines detailed overviews of the different regional/country needs with creative and impactful delivery approaches
- Establishing a wider cooperation with the private sector, e.g. initiation and implementation of development partnerships with the private sector
- Identifying and maintaining contacts with private investors and public financing partners for Eastern African tech start-ups
- Building complex multi country delivery projects with the respective local ecosystems
- Assuming responsibility for Make-IT in Africa’s implementation in Eastern Africa, including budget planning, developing terms of reference for sub-contractors, operational planning and managing short term experts and consultants
- Actively building close ties to the Digital Transformation Centers in the Region and to other bilateral, regional or global GIZ projects, regional and pan-African partners to leverage synergies, e.g. advising other projects on the integration of the Make-IT in Africa approach into the respective project and activity concepts
- Initiating a policy exchange and regional learning framework for topics around entrepreneurship promotion e.g. Startup Acts, innovation policies, etc.
- Several years of professional experience in development cooperation at home and abroad, in combination with a degree in a relevant topic
- Regional experience in East-Africa is an advantage
- Several years of relevant professional experience, preferably gained abroad in the promotion of start-ups and innovation ecosystems in Africa and Europe
- Experience in initiating and implementing development partnerships with the private sector
- Enjoy working in intercultural and remote teams and have diplomatic skills
- Proven networking skills, a proven network to African and European actors in the innovation ecosystem is an advantage
- Fluency in German and English; knowledge of French is an advantage
In general, the security situation is calm. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. A contact person for security risk management is appointed at the local GIZ office. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. We kindly ask you to inform yourself which forms of relationships are legally and socially accepted in the country of deployment.
Further information on country-specific advice from the Federal Foreign Office at https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en.
This position is suited to a full or a part-time position.
The willingness for frequent business trips is required.
We are happy to help accompanying partners discuss questions about benefits, residence permits and how to find your own job locally - feel free to get in touch with us during your application phase at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The willingness to work reciprocally abroad and in Germany is required.
Please observe the provisions of the country-specific vaccination regulations for entry and work in the country of assignment - in particular also regarding COVID-19
Please understand, that we can only accept and process applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
- We are a provider of international cooperation services for sustainable development and work to build a future worth living around the world. We support projects in over 130 countries to achieve goals sustainably together with our partners.
- Everyone has the same opportunities in our company, regardless of gender, nationality, religion, sexual orientation or physical disability. We recruit based on specialist expertise and social skills. Transparency and fair opportunities for career advancement are just as much a matter of course for us as gender not being a barrier to taking up a management position.
- Your work will begin with an onboarding and preparation phase that will give you initial insights into GIZ and lay the groundwork for your upcoming assignment, establishing new contacts and building up your network.
- We provide opportunities for taking part in training and professional development to all our staff. Our Academy for International Cooperation (AIZ) will help you develop your skills.
- Ensuring the compatibility of career, family work and care commitments is part of our corporate policy. Flexible working hours and comprehensive preparation packages for families accompanying staff abroad are two examples of the opportunities that GIZ offers its employees. Our family-friendly philosophy also includes providing support for family members in need of care.
- Flexi-time and the possibility for mobile working gives staff maximum flexibility.
- We offer you various part-time working models to give you flexibility in planning your working and home lives.
- We allow our staff to accrue working time credits in a long-term working time account. This credit can then be used to take a lengthy leave of absence.
- Extensive check-ups and preventive measures (e.g. on appointment, before the outward journey, during the stay in a country of assignment, in an emergency) are provided to our staff and the family members accompanying them as a matter of course.
- We reward staff who achieve their agreed annual targets with a variable remuneration component.
- You will receive various additional benefits during your stay abroad that will depend on your country of assignment.
- We have put together an extensive package of benefits for family members accompanying staff abroad, including medical check-ups, language lessons and lump-sum allowances for the outward and homeward journeys. The Academy for International Cooperation (AIZ) also offers a range of preparatory courses on local culture, history and customs and on travelling with children.
- During your assignment abroad, we will largely reimburse you for the school fees incurred for sending your children to schools providing a general education.
- In many places, you will receive a subsidy towards the rent on your place of residence. If you have not yet found suitable accommodation at the time of your outward journey, you will receive a subsidy to put towards your hotel costs.
Your professional and personal development is important to us. At GIZ, you will be offered global work opportunities and an atmosphere that is characterised by diversity, respect and genuine equal opportunities. Gender equality promotion is a matter of course for us. Our benefits are also impressive in terms of work-life balance and family friendliness. Flexible working hours that fit your life situation are an integral part of our corporate culture.
GIZ is a signatory of the Diversity Charter. Recognition, appreciation and inclusion of diversity in the company are important to us. All employees shall be valued - regardless of gender and gender identity, nationality, ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.