- Job-ID: P1533V6152
- Location: Bahir Dar
- Assignment period: 10/01/2021 - 07/31/2024
- Field: Forestry, Biodiversity, Oceans
- Type of employment: full-time
- Application deadline: 08/11/2021
The Project „Protection and sustainable use of natural resources in Ethiopia” has as its main objective the strengthening of capacities of the institutions responsible for the management of protected areas and forests at national, regional and local levels. As the project is entering a third phase of implementation, an important field of action is the support to partner institutions in the institutionalization and up-scaling of the already developed instruments and digital solutions for an efficient management of protected areas and forests. The project concentrates efforts in the protection of natural forests and in the development and management of plantation forests, as well as in promoting a sustainable timber production and processing. In the Amhara region, the governmental enterprise manages the plantation forests. The Amhara Forest Enterprise (AFE) is thereby supported by the project. Further strengthening and consolidation of the already developed instruments and skills are still needed. An expansion of forestry activities to other regions is foreseen.
- Support the AFE in the implementation and monitoring of forest management plans, as well as in the implementation of the Forest Development Strategy
- Advise AFE in the further development and institutionalization of best practices and instruments on sustainable forest management and tree harvesting operations
- Advise and support the management of nurseries and the introduction of innovative approaches to seed improvement and genetic material propagation
- Support AFE to develop and implement a strategy to develop round timber markets and promote timber traceability and wood products certification
- Facilitate synergies and cooperation among AFE and other governmental institution to progressively upgrade sawn-timber markets rules and regulations
- Support regional institutions in the expansion and upscaling of proven forest development and management tools
- Advise the project management in general forestry-related issues and strategies
- University degree in forest sciences / forestry and many years of professional experience in the field of sustainable forest management, forestry-economy, forest value chains and wood primary processing areas
- Relevant expertise in international cooperation and in the private forest sector is of advantage
- Several years of professional experience and relevant expertise in advising and cooperating with governmental institutions
- Sound knowledge of international timber markets rules and regulations and common practices for round timber quality testing, evaluation, traceability and certification as well as profound knowledge of IT, GIS and basic geomatic tools
- Experience in organisational consulting and process improvement
- Strong analytical and coordination competences as well as intercultural competence and communication skills
- Authenticity, adaptability, resilience as well as performance and goal orientation
- Fluency in English; good knowledge of German is of advantage
Please use the following link for information about living and working in Ethiopia.
Climate: moderate, warm during the day and cool at night
Health: Basic health care in public and private health centers in town. In Addis Ababa, which can be reached several times a day by flight, there is a wide range of health care facilities
Shopping and supply options: good, local and some imported products available
Access: several daily flights to the capital Addis Ababa (1 hour)
School situation: No international schools in town
Children: good for families with small children, or for children doing home-schooling
The security situation requires heightened vigilance. Tailored security risk mitigation measures are in place for GIZ staff in country. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. GIZ runs a professional security risk management system in the field of deployment. The working environment is subject to special restrictions on the freedom of movement. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. We kindly ask you to inform yourself which forms of relationships are legally and socially accepted in the country of deployment.
For general questions from dependent partners about local employment - please contact: email@example.com.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
A prerequisite for the conclusion of the agreement is the lifting of the restrictions currently in force in the company on the possibilities for travel and business trips in order to contain the worldwide spread of the Covid-19 virus.
- We are a provider of international cooperation services for sustainable development and work to build a future worth living around the world. We support projects in over 130 countries to achieve goals sustainably together with our partners.
- Your work will begin with an onboarding and preparation phase that will give you initial insights into GIZ and lay the groundwork for your upcoming assignment, establishing new contacts and building up your network.
- Extensive check-ups and preventive measures (e.g. on appointment, before the outward journey, during the stay in a country of assignment, in an emergency) are provided to our staff and the family members accompanying them as a matter of course.
- As a development worker, you can use the project vehicle for trips to school or to visit a doctor or can receive a monthly lump-sum mobility allowance instead. The project vehicle can also be used for personal trips with your manager’s approval.
- As well as your basic living allowance, as a development worker you will also receive extensive additional benefits during your assignment (including a foreign service premium, family allowances, private group health insurance).
- To enable you to get ready for your assignment as a development worker and your outward journey, you will be given outward journey leave following your preparation time in Germany.
- We will cover a large portion of the childcare costs for dependent children under 14 who are accompanying you if your partner is not doing so and is not a development worker or integrated expert themselves. Most nursery and school fees are paid.
- We will reimburse you for your rental costs based on the rent index for your country as well as paying you an equipment and furnishing allowance on top.
- You and the members of your family accompanying you will be covered by our health and liability insurance, while your family members will also benefit from accident insurance. In countries in crisis, we operate a comprehensive risk management system for your protection, which minimises personal dangers and risks.
We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. You advise governmental and civil society organizations at local or municipal level. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. The basis for the deployment of specialists in the development service is the German Development Workers Act (EhfG).