Assignment period:04/01/2021 - 03/31/2025
Type of employment:full- or part-time
The Ethiopian government has adopted an Industrial Development Policy to transform the currently agricultural-led economy into an industry-based one, aiming to lift the population out of poverty and becoming a middle-income country by 2025. The textile and garment industries are considered priority sectors on the path to industrialization. These sectors are often characterized by precarious working conditions, low wages, non-compliance with human rights and social and ecological standards. The project "Promoting Sustainable Growth in the Textile and Garment Industry in Ethiopia" aims at job-effective growth and social and environmental sustainability of the textile and garment industry, by ensuring better working conditions for workers, better management in industrial parks, increased sustainability on industrial park and company level, improving institutional frameworks and improving capacities of local companies.
- Lead the social sustainability and industrial park components of the project as component leader
- Promote socially and environmentally sustainable textile production and park management in the four industrial parks
- Develop an implementation plan for the two components based on the project conception and planned budget and steer implementation to ensure project indicator achievement
- Prepare reports and contribute to Monitoring and Evaluation of the two components
- Develop and maintain a close network and communication with relevant stakeholders
- Create stakeholders’ platforms for cooperation and networking
- Staff management for staff in respective project component
- Deputize and support the programme manager for the implementation of project activities
- Higher Degree in Business/Economics/Private Sector Development, Textile engineering, textile management, environment, law or another relevant field
- Many years of professional experience in the development or ideally textile sector related to multi-stakeholder engagement, organization and implementation of trainings to various governmental stakeholders, partners and private sector actors
- Many years of Project Management experience
- Several years of experience of working experience with projects funded by the Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office within or outside GIZ
- Knowledge of the Private Sector Development in Ethiopia, the most relevant institutions, experts, companies and other actors is a plus
- Previous staff management experience is a clear plus
- High degree of initiative, efficiency, team-working, integrity and accountability
- Fluency in English and German
The GIZ offers an additional benefits package for deployments in fragile security situations.
Please use the following link for information about living and working in Ethiopia.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.