Assignment period:04/01/2021 - 04/30/2022
Type of employment:full- or part-time
On behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development, GIZ implements the global project "Fund for Agricultural Policy Advice and Innovation (FABI)". Through advisory services and capacity building FABI supports African partner countries in developing and implementing evidence-based strategies in the field of agricultural and agricultural trade policy. The project is part of the special initiative "Eine Welt ohne Hunger” (One World Without Hunger). The work package "Improving regional seed potato trade in East Africa", which is carried out in cooperation and coordination with the regional project "Supporting East African market-oriented and people-centered integration” in Arusha, Tanzania", with the East African Community (EAC) Secretariat, aims to lay the foundations for the further development of seed potato trade in the EAC.
- Execution responsibility for the work package including planning and implementation of the advisory case according to agreed objectives and activities including budget responsibility
- Development and implementation of work plans with the EAC Secretariat and overall coordination of activities in the region including trainings for national control and certification bodies
- Coordination of project activities with national focal points in the six EAC partner countries
- Technical management of national GIZ staff in Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania.
- Advising the EAC Secretariat and EAC partner states on seed potato trade, sanitary and phytosanitary standards, standardization and certification, and coordinating standardization processes
- Representation of the project in steering committees as well as coordination with other projects and donors
- Coordination of external short-term experts, subcontractors as well as contractors from industry and research
- Impact monitoring and knowledge management as well as responsibility for reporting
- Completed university studies in the field of economics, agricultural sciences or a comparable field of study
- Several years of professional experience in international cooperation, ideally in (East) Africa
- Expertise in rural and agricultural development, promotion of agricultural value chains, innovation-oriented agricultural extension, trade facilitation, and harmonization of norms and standards
- Several years of professional experience in management and implementation of complex rural development projects in development cooperation
- Intercultural and political intuition, diplomatic skills and confident demeanor in the context of the EAC integration process
- Strong experience in technical coordination
- Ability to communicate with different partners
- Fluent English language skills; German language skills are an advantage
The GIZ offers an additional benefits package for deployments in fragile security situations.
Please use the following link for information about living and working in Tanzania.
The security situation is tense due to the global pandemic. Tailored security risk mitigation measures are in place for GIZ staff in country. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the country-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. A contact person for security risk management is appointed at the local GIZ office. The freedom of movement is restricted. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. We kindly ask you to inform yourself which forms of relationships are legally and socially accepted in the country of deployment.
GIZ operates worldwide. As part of the GIZ team, you are prepared to take on international assignments and pass on your expertise.
There is a potential option for extension until the end of 2022.
This job is suited to a full or a part-time position.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
A prerequisite for the conclusion of the agreement is the lifting of the restrictions currently in force in the company on the possibilities for travel and business trips in order to contain the worldwide spread of the Covid-19 virus.
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.