- Job-ID: P1533V5475
- Location: Moroto
- Assignment period: 11/01/2021 - 10/31/2023
- Field: Peace, Security and Emergency
- Type of employment: full-time
- Application deadline: 08/13/2021
The Civil Peace Service (CPS) of GIZ Uganda is focusing on the prevention and transformation of land conflicts in Teso and Karamoja since 2014, since 2020 the activities expanded also to Acholi. The programme "Support for the participatory transformation of land conflicts in North-eastern Uganda " is implemented on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The core of the programme is the support to 14 interest groups, composed of approx. 150 civil society organizations - including women's organizations, academic institutions and faith-based organizations, representatives of local governments and traditional leaders as part of a wider Multi-Stakeholder-Process. The aim is to enable respective actors to coordinate their measures and interventions and to optimize the prevention and transformation of land conflicts, leading to improved land management structures and mechanisms as well as a better protection of land rights in the region.
- Advise the interest groups active in Karamoja in their planning, implementation and evaluation of conflict-sensitive interventions
- Advise the stakeholders in developing their network-structures and support the information flow and knowledge transfer within and between interest groups
- Support the interest groups in the development and implementation of awareness raising and lobbying activities, capacity building, on methods of non-violent conflict transformation, and in the preparation of information and training material
- Advise the interest groups in organisational development and fundraising
- Support the development and implementation of crosscutting strategies within the CPS programme
- University degree in peace and conflict studies or related fields
- Profound expertise in advisory services and experience in the accompaniment and support of networks or interest groups
- Competence in facilitating multi-stakeholder and dialogue processes
- Working experience in the field of conflict transformation and the development and application of its methods
- Experience in the use of participatory methods
- Driver’s license and several years of driving experience
- Knowledge and experience in the field of land rights in Africa, expertise in Mental Health and Psychosocial Support, background in adult education and work experience in rural areas are a distinct advantage
- Fluency in English
Place of residence: Moroto, Karamoja with frequent travels
Climate: Weather in Moroto is influenced by tropical wet & dry climate. Winter dry season
Healthcare: Basic services available, good services available in Kampala Shopping facilities: Good in Moroto, all specialized and imported products available in Kampala
School situation: Location is not recommended for families with children of school age
The security situation is tense. Tailored security risk mitigation measures are in place for GIZ staff in country. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. GIZ runs a professional security risk management system in the field of deployment. The freedom of movement is restricted. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. We kindly ask you to inform yourself which forms of relationships are legally and socially accepted in the country of deployment.
At the site of operation the particulate pollution occurs to be many time higher than the European acceptable limit. As part of the selection process and during the recruitment examination you will be informed of appropriate protective and behavioral measures.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
A prerequisite for the conclusion of the agreement is the lifting of the restrictions currently in force in the company on the possibilities for travel and business trips in order to contain the worldwide spread of the Covid-19 virus.
- We are a provider of international cooperation services for sustainable development and work to build a future worth living around the world. We support projects in over 130 countries to achieve goals sustainably together with our partners.
- Your work will begin with an onboarding and preparation phase that will give you initial insights into GIZ and lay the groundwork for your upcoming assignment, establishing new contacts and building up your network.
- Extensive check-ups and preventive measures (e.g. on appointment, before the outward journey, during the stay in a country of assignment, in an emergency) are provided to our staff and the family members accompanying them as a matter of course.
- As a development worker, you can use the project vehicle for trips to school or to visit a doctor or can receive a monthly lump-sum mobility allowance instead. The project vehicle can also be used for personal trips with your manager’s approval.
- As well as your basic living allowance, as a development worker you will also receive extensive additional benefits during your assignment (including a foreign service premium, family allowances, private group health insurance).
- To enable you to get ready for your assignment as a development worker and your outward journey, you will be given outward journey leave following your preparation time in Germany.
- We will cover a large portion of the childcare costs for dependent children under 14 who are accompanying you if your partner is not doing so and is not a development worker or integrated expert themselves. Most nursery and school fees are paid.
- We will reimburse you for your rental costs based on the rent index for your country as well as paying you an equipment and furnishing allowance on top.
- You and the members of your family accompanying you will be covered by our health and liability insurance, while your family members will also benefit from accident insurance. In countries in crisis, we operate a comprehensive risk management system for your protection, which minimises personal dangers and risks.
We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. You advise governmental and civil society organizations at local or municipal level. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. The basis for the deployment of specialists in the development service is the German Development Workers Act (EhfG).