Assignment period:04/01/2021 - 03/31/2023
Type of employment:full-time
Since its inscription into the UNESCO World Heritage list in 1994, Angkor became one of the most important archaeological sites in Southeast Asia. GIZ supports the local Authority for the Protection and Management of Angkor and the Region of Siem Reap (APSARA), in charge of the conservation and management of the site in strengthening and expanding its capabilities in conservation with the integration of two technical advisors within its Stone Conservation Unit (SCU). The project is based on an assiduous collaboration with the SCU and on the implementation of a sustainable graduating vocational training for Cambodian stone conservators. The general objective of this project is the autonomy of the Apsara Authority and widely, of Cambodia, in preserving its Angkorian monumental heritage as well as support the SCU conservators to expend their knowledges and skills through a challenging practice of conservation.
- Provide technical advice in the field of stone conservation and restoration and implement training activities closely related to the field work
- Organise the continuous training of graduated conservators by exterior consultants
- Develop laboratory skills in collaboration with the new APSARA laboratory
- Assiduously support the APSARA and advocate for the implementation of a formal vocational training programme
- Assist the Authority in analysing the current needs of conservators within the professional realm in Siem-Reap and in Cambodia
- Encourage the Authority in achieving an official recognition of the vocational training course with the appropriate Cambodian institutions
- Graduated in stone conservation or in object or sculpture conservation with significant experience on stone
- Demonstrable practical experience in the field of archaeological sites and built heritage conservation
- Deep knowledge of conservation deontology principles and clear understanding of materials properties and weathering
- Effective experience in providing theoretical and practical trainings or facilitating workshops
- Very organised and pragmatic with a meaningful experience in project management and coordination
- Good interpersonal skills as well as intercultural sensitivity with a great interest for the human
- Highly autonomous and comfortable with teamwork without direct hierarchical relation at the workplace
- Fluent in English, German is of advantage
- Place of residence: Siem Reap
- Climate: Siem Reap has a tropical climate with high humidity levels and temperatures between 26° and 33°C throughout the year. Cambodia has two main seasons, a rainy monsoon season for about 6 months and a hot and dry season for the remainder of the year
- Healthcare: Good healthcare facilities and hospitals are available in Siem Reap. Excellent care can be accessed in nearby Bangkok
- Supply and Shopping facilities: Siem Reap offers a good selection of international products and shopping facilities for expats
- Accessibility: Siem Reap is well connected to other domestic destinations as well as many Asian countries through its own airport. Further international destinations are easily available via Phnom Penh or Bangkok airports respectively
- Children and Toddlers: Life in Siem Reap is well suited for Children or Toddlers
- School Situation and Fees: Siem Reap has reputable international primary schools. Higher education options are available in Phnom Penh.
The security situation is tense. Tailored security risk mitigation measures are in place for GIZ staff in country. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. A contact person for security risk management is appointed at the local GIZ office. The freedom of movement is restricted. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. We kindly ask you to inform yourself which forms of relationships are legally and socially accepted in the country of deployment.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
A prerequisite for the conclusion of the agreement is the lifting of the restrictions currently in force in the company on the possibilities for travel and business trips in order to contain the worldwide spread of the Covid-19 virus.
We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. You advise governmental and civil society organizations at local or municipal level. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. The basis for the deployment of specialists in the development service is the German Development Workers Act (EhfG).