Assignment period:11/01/2020 - 07/31/2022
Type of employment:full- or part-time
The GIZ public-private-partnership program develoPPP.de was established by the German government as a way to support and foster the involvement of the private sector in developing countries and emerging economies. Together with a consortium of private firms – sourcing company Ethical Apparel Africa, digital pattern company Gerber, interlining supplier Freudenberg and needle supplier Groz Beckert – GIZ has launched a develoPPP.de project focusing on the emerging apparel industry in West Africa. The primary objective of the project is to strengthen small and medium-sized clothing manufacturers for the export market in order to create qualified and socially responsible employment. Addressing a key barrier to competitiveness, industry growth and job creation, one key area of the project are classroom-based (delivered at Accra Technical Training Centre, ATTC) and in-factory technical vocational trainings aiming at building a pipeline of skilled local talent. Furthermore, factories are accompanied and advised on their compliance performance in order to achieve international standards.
- Responsible for the operative implementation of all GIZ project activities, especially with regard to the area of compliance
- Ensuring the provision of project contributions of the private partners
- Close coordination with all internal and relevant external stakeholders (e.g. garment association) of the project
- Report to the develoPPP.de team lead in Ghana and the project's supervisory committee
- Coordination of and providing input to the project progress report
- Organizational and content-related preparation of steering and supervisory committee meetings
- Coordinate and complete baseline surveys, mid-term assessments and final assessments to measure the project outcomes
- Work with the factories, the association and ATTC to create a culture that promotes learning, including giving and receiving feedback
- Conduct assessment of existing ATTC trainings and support ATTC’s organizational development in order to ensure continuity of trainings after the official project term
- Provide support to ATTC to develop the business structure for the pattern and mechanics service center as an income generator to support the project ongoing
- Prepare budget forecasts and monitor budget expenditure
- Degree in economics, international relations, business administration or textile management, textile and clothing technology, textile engineering or any other relevant field of study
- Several years of relevant professional expertise in a factory setting or in projects related to (sustainable) textile and apparel production
- Proven expertise in the area of compliance, preferably within Africa
- Comprehensive experience in managing projects in a complex multistakeholder setting including the management of finances
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with flexibility to adapt to changing needs and an entrepreneurial attitude
- High motivation to contribute to the sustainable development of the emerging apparel industry in West Africa
- Experience in organisational development and/or business development is considered an advantage
- Diplomatic skills, resilience and a good standing are an advantage
- Regional experience is considered an advantage
- Qualification in Capacity WORKS is an asset
- Fluency in English
Please use the following link for information about living and working in Ghana.
The security situation is tense. Tailored security risk mitigation measures are in place for GIZ staff in country. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. A contact person for security risk management is appointed at the local GIZ office. The freedom of movement is restricted. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. We kindly ask you to inform yourself which forms of relationships are legally and socially accepted in the country of deployment.
At the site of operation the particulate pollution occurs to be many time higher than the European acceptable limit. As part of the selection process and during the recruitment examination you will be informed of appropriate protective and behavioral measures.
GIZ operates worldwide. As part of the GIZ team, you are prepared to take on international assignments and pass on your expertise.
This job is suited to a full or a part-time position.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. We have over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security. The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector, and governments of other countries. We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity. Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
Telefon +49 - 6196-79-3200