Assignment period:08/01/2020 - 02/28/2021
Type of employment:full- or part-time
In the past years the Ethiopian Government has made tremendous progress in the management of biomedical equipment and therefore the provision of quality health services. However, as quantity of health professionals has increased, the quality of training still needs improvement. The project therefore supports the practical vocational training of biomedical technicians and nurses and advises the federal and regional Ministry of Health and Ministry of Science and Higher Education accordingly. The focus lies on a pilot area in western Oromia region with three fields of intervention: I) improving the technical and didactical skills of teachers at selected vocational training colleges and a teaching hospital; II) strengthening a regional biomedical workshop; III) supporting a national strategy for biomedical equipment management in the public health sector.
- Overall responsibility for the technical and administrative management, including budget planning and monitoring
- High quality of advisory services to the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Science and Higher Education
- Technical and disciplinary supervision of an international team
- Planning, steering and monitoring of all project activities
- Initiating and strengthening cooperations with the private sector in the field of biomedical equipment and vocational training
- Identification and active acquisition of business opportunities of GIZ in the health sector
- Close collaboration with other GIZ programmes
- Master degree (or equivalent) in Medicine, Education, Health or Social Sciences; Additional qualification in Public Health is an asset
- Several years of professional experience and especially in development cooperation
- Proven experience in project management and supervision of intercultural teams
- Experience with managing and coordinating consulting components is an asset
- Confident in cooperating and working with political actors as well as in the civil society and private sector
- Excellent cooperation skills in the international context and high intercultural competence
- Proven advisory skills, very good communication and diplomatic skills at all levels
- Fluent in English; German is an asset
The GIZ offers an additional benefits package for deployments in fragile security situations.
Please use the following link for information about living and working in Ethiopia.
The security situation requires heightened vigilance. Tailored security risk mitigation measures are in place for GIZ staff in country. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. GIZ runs a professional security risk management system in the field of deployment. The working environment is subject to special restrictions on the freedom of movement. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. We kindly ask you to inform yourself which forms of relationships are legally and socially accepted in the country of deployment.
GIZ operates worldwide. As part of the GIZ team, you are prepared to take on international assignments and pass on your expertise.
Frequent travels to the project site in Nekemte in western Oromia Region is required.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
A prerequisite for the conclusion of the agreement is the lifting of the restrictions currently in force in the company on the possibilities for travel and business trips in order to contain the worldwide spread of the Covid-19 virus.
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.