Assignment period:01/01/2020 - 12/31/2023
Field:Climate Change, Environment
Type of employment:full-time
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a state owned organisation. We work worldwide in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. GIZ International Services (InS) is an integral division of GIZ. We offer the experience, the regional and technical know-how of GIZ in the global market and provide international clients with expertise in terms of economic and result-oriented services.
GIZ International Services is shortlisted for the EIB-funded tender: „ Clean Oceans Initiative: Project Identification & Preparation Programme for Sub-Saharan Africa (COPIP)”.
The overall objective of the Clean Oceans Project Identification and Preparation (COPIP) Programme is to contribute to the improvement of financial, economic, social and environmental infrastructure in targeted countries in Sub-Saharan Africa, in support of cleaner and more sustainable oceans. The Programme and outputs should also be in line with the objectives of the Clean Ocean Initiative, the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) (particularly SDG 14 and SDG 6), as well as the EIB’s commitment to support projects which are financially sustainable and contribute substantially towards Climate Action. In this regard, relevant projects identified under the challenge launched by the EIB and the Global Covenant of Mayors (GCOM), called the Global Climate City Challenge (GCCC), which contributes to the Clean Oceans Initiative may be supported under this COPIP Programme.
The Team Leader will be the first point of contact for all assignments and the project team and will interface with the Contracting Authority, the EU Delegations in the countries where projects will be implemented, project sponsors, donor partners and other key stakeholders.
Qualification and skills:
- Academic degree in engineering, economics or in a discipline relevant to the project scope, or equivalent.
- Proficiency in oral and written English or French languages. Working knowledge of the other language is required.
General professional experience:
- Minimum 10 years managerial experience as team leader, in particular in managing multi-disciplinary teams of senior professionals from different cultural areas, in developing countries, preferably in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Specific professional experience:
- Involvement as TL in a minimum of 4 projects in developing countries involving the preparation of feasibility studies for infrastructure projects (of which at least 1 in Sub-Saharan Africa), particularly in one or more of COPIP Programme targeted sectors, in the past 15 years.
- Proven experience in working with EU, EIB and other IFI’s (e.g. EIB, AfDB, WB, AFD/Proparco, FMO, KfW) on similar assignments.
- Experience in both private and public sectors will be considered an asset.
- The Team Leader must have excellent interpersonal skills and a record of successful project experience with multi-country teams.
- S/he will also need to possess excellent drafting skills and be a good communicator and a facilitator of contacts among different stakeholders.
Project activities will be carried out in Nairobi. A maximum of 30% of the work can be done from home-base.
Start date & period of implementation
The intended commencement date is January 2020 and the period of implementation of the contract will be 36 months from this date. The Team Leader must be engaged full time on the project for the full duration of the contract.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system.
We would like to ask you to apply with a CV in Europeaid format.
Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.
+49 6196 79-3191