Assignment period:11/01/2019 - 10/31/2021
Field:Strategy and Management advice
Type of employment:full-time
Cameroon is the fifth largest producer of cotton in Sub-Saharan Africa. For the Cameroonian government, cotton has a strategic importance for the economy in the three regions in the north: Extreme North, North and Adamaoua. In these regions, the population is particularly affected by poverty and an unstable security situation. Cotton is mainly grown by smallholder farmers in Cameroon.As part of the global programme “Sustainability and Value Added in the Cotton Economy”, the GIZ is supporting the Cameroonian Government on behalf of the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). This programme is part of the BMZ’s special initiative “One World – No Hunger”. The focus is to increase the production of sustainable cotton and strengthening the value chain as a whole (upstream and downstream sectors). The aim of this approach is to raise the income of smallholder farmers by growing sustainable cotton and to increase employment in the upstream and/or downstream sectors.The measures are implemented in close cooperation with the National Association of Cameroonian Cotton Producers (CNPC-C) with more than 150.000 members.
- Support the partner structure (CNPC-C) in planning and activity management along the cotton value chain
- Support the CNPCC technical staff in the development of training programmes to strengthen the technical, organisational and economic competencies of cotton producers
- Support the establishment of relationships (national, regional and international) with institutional partners, agricultural organisations, non-governmental structures, the private sector and partners along the cotton value chain
- Support in the organisation and implementation of workshops and trainings in the value chain
- Support the annual planning for the training of the producers by developing and introducing new activities and innovations
- Analyse existing innovations used within the value chain inside and outside of Cameroon, and to elaborate recommendations for technical, socio-economic and organisational solutions
- Support compliance with the Cotton Made in Africa (CmiA) standards for all certified producers
- Link the partner organisation with other GIZ-programmes focusing on the development of the cotton value chain, and participation in the exchange of best practices (regional and international)
- University degree in organisational development, agricultural science, project management, forestry, rural sociology, environmental sciences or comparable disciplines
- Several years of experience in questions of organisational development
- Several years of experience in capacity building of local stakeholders and in the promotion of value chains
- Experience in the development of sensitisation and communication materials
- Experience in gender-sensitive approaches
- Several years of professional experience in the field of rural development in francophone African countries is an advantage
- Several years of professional experience in development cooperation is an advantage
- Fluent knowledge (oral and written) of the French language, knowledge of German or English is an advantage
- Place of residence: Garoua/Quartier plateau/Nord Kamerun
- Climate: Warm climate with one rainy season (May – September); temperature between 28° - 40°C°
- Healthcare: There exist basic medical services provided by local specialist doctors and private health clinics
- Supply and shopping facilities: Basic items forthe daily needs are locally available, European goods /products are available
- Accessibility: City roads and overland routes are in a reasonable condition. Flights are not regular. Transport in the town is mainly by moto-taxi
- The location is not suitable for children
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. You advise governmental and civil society organizations at local or municipal level. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. The basis for the deployment of specialists in the development service is the German Development Workers Act (EhfG).