Assignment period:02/01/2019 - 12/31/2020
Type of employment:full-time
On behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), GIZ supports South African partners in the promotion of renewable energy and energy efficiency through the South African-German Energy Programme (SAGEN). As technical advisor for solar photovoltaic systems (PV) you will support two partner institutions based in Cape Town on PV-related topics, namely the South African Renewable Energy Centre SARETEC and the municipal Electricity Department of the City of Cape Town.
At SARETEC, you will support the further development of PV training material, assist SARETEC in its custodian role for the quality label “PV GreenCard” and foster cooperation with the South African PV industry. At the City of Cape Town, you will advise the municipality on creating the conditions for an orderly connection of rooftop PV systems to their municipal distribution grid. You will also support the system design and procurement processes for municipal PV installations and train municipal staff.
You will spend approx. 50% of your work time at the Electricity Department of the City of Cape Town and approx. 50% at SARETEC in Cape Town / Bellville.
- Review and improve SARETEC’s existing Solar PV training material and assessments and, together with GreenCape, support South African Renewable Energy Technology Centre (SARETEC) in managing its custodian role for the photovoltaics (PV) Green Card installer assessment
- Coordinate with industry players on PV skills development, support SARETEC in organising and hosting of industry technical symposiums, workshops and training
- Advise the City of Cape Town on creating the conditions for an orderly connection of PV rooftop systems to their municipal distribution grid
- Support the City of Cape Town in developing new business models in response to increasing customer self-generation also in designing and procuring their own solar PV systems
- Implement capacity building and train technical staff of the City of Cape Town on solar PV-related issues, also by combining this with appropriate training undertaken at SARETEC
- Develop a basic manual / checklist for an ‘on-site inspection toolkit for PV installations’ for municipal inspectors to recognise correct rooftop PV installations and any fatal flaws (incl. training of municipal staff)
- Support the process to clarify the number of PV installations and the tracking of installations in the City of Cape Town
- Inform and create awareness among other selected Western Cape municipalities around the integration of PV rooftop systems (e.g. through the development of case studies or the organisation of knowledge exchange workshops)
- Engineering degree or Master electrician degree (or equivalent electrical degree)
- In-depth knowledge of technical issues related to (rooftop) PV
- Significant work experience in the installation of PV systems and their grid integration
- Experience in the preparation and implementation of training on PV
- Awareness of the specific requirements when working in a municipal context
- Driver's license and willingness to travel within the province / country
- Socio-cultural and political sensitivity needed for working in an international cooperation context
- Fluent knowledge in English language
- Place of residence: Cape Town
- Climate: Mediterranean-style, wet and cool winters, dry and warm summers
- Healthcare: Very good health services (comparable to European countries)
- Supply and shopping facilities: All goods and services available (comparable to European countries)
- Accessibility: Regular flights to / from Johannesburg as well as selected direct flights from Europe
- School situation and school fees: German and international schools available; school fees are covered according to GIZ rules
- Security: The security situation requires increased alertness. There are special security risk mitigation measures applying to GIZ staff on-site. All staff must follow GIZ security instructions at any time. Please also read up on county-specific advice provided by the German Federal Foreign Office.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. You advise governmental and civil society organizations at local or municipal level. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. The basis for the deployment of specialists in the development service is the Entwicklungshelfergesetz (EhfG).
+49 (0) 6196/79-3200