Assignment period:07/01/2018 - 06/30/2020
Type of employment:full-time
Chris Hani District Municipality (CHDM) is the water services authority and water services provider to six municipalities in the Eastern Cape. Approximately 25% of households have piped water inside dwellings and generally the water services infrastructure is challenging for water services. The development worker will support CHDM in developing a strategic approach for the repair, maintenance and exchange of electro-mechanical equipment in order to increase access to clean water.
Water infrastructure is aging and undersized for the current population and there is a high number of illegal connections. Infrastructure refurbishment, renovations and extensions are required to enhance water services. The development worker will provide strategic support to the management team with a focus on electro-mechanical equipment, as well as mentoring and coaching for technical staff.
- Provide advisory services to the management team for engineering services with a focus on electro-mechanical equipment
- Provide support for the design and implementation of a management schedule for maintenance of electro-mechanical equipment
- Support the development and implementation of a mentoring and coaching programme for technical staff, with a strong focus on "hands-on" support
- Diploma in electro-mechanical engineering
- Experience in supply of water services in a local government context
- Specific experience in the electro-mechanical engineering aspects of water plans and infrastructure
- Ability to coach, mentor and motivate staff
- Fluency in English
- A valid driver's licence
- Culturally astute, especially in a rural setting
- place of residence: Komani, formerly known as Queenstown, is a town in the middle of the Eastern Cape Province
- climate: In Summer, hot and rainy (up to 40°C), Winter is cold with snow in the surrounding mountains (1°C)
- healthcare: There is a private and public hospital and three clinics; there are at least 60 general practitioners
- supply and shopping facilities: There are two malls and many retail shops and supermarkets, clothing, electronics, banks, postal, etc.
- accessibility: Easy accessibility - walking range to shops, restaurants, etc. East London 200km - good roads
- school situation and school fees: There are ten schools of which two are excellent and offer boarding and are private; school fees are reimbursed according to GIZ regulations
- Other: Population around 75000 inhabitants, central place for trading.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. If you should not be able to post an application via the system, you are welcome to contact the person indicated at the end of the job description.
We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. You advise governmental and civil society organizations at local or municipal level. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. The basis for the deployment of specialists in the development service is the Entwicklungshelfer-Gesetz.
+49 6196 / 79 - 3200